David is a transactional lawyer with substantial experience as counsel on mergers and acquisitions for companies in a wide range of industries. He also represents developers, owners, financial institutions, manufacturers, and other entities in all aspects of commercial real estate law.
David represents privately held business organizations involved in manufacturing, distribution, insurance, and a variety of other industries. He has extensive experience providing advice regarding transactions, shareholder agreements, buy and sell agreements, producer and other employment agreements, business valuations, and related issues.
In his work with insurance agencies, David handles operational issues as well as transactions, including restructuring ownership interests, resolving family generational issues, negotiating producer contracts, managing shareholder buyouts, negotiating and closing purchases, sales and mergers of agencies, and representing agencies with respect to real estate, both owned and leased. He currently represents several agencies in all of their legal matters, many of which are located in Massachusetts.
David has more than 34 years' experience representing national and regional financial institutions in asset based, working capital and other credit facilities. He regularly serves as counsel in commercial real estate transactions involving acquisition and development financing, as well as construction lending for substantial projects, complex land development, project construction, and represents owners and acquirers of office buildings, shopping centers and apartment building purchase and sale transactions. He represents developers, owners, financial institutions, manufacturers, and other entities in all aspects of commercial real estate law.
- Boston University, J.D.
- Brown University, B.A.
Bar Memberships & Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- Chambers USA – Band 2 Corporate/Commercial: Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2018)
- Best Lawyers in America Lawyer of the Year - Providence, RI Banking and Finance Law (2018)
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2012 Providence Real Estate Law Lawyer of the Year
- Ranked as a leading attorney in the Corporate/Commercial area in Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Named for peer recognition and professional achievement in The Super Lawyers directory
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law
- AV® Preeminent Rated from Martindale-Hubbell, highest possible rating on both legal ability and ethics based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Business Organizations Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Centreville Bank
- Crossroads Rhode Island
- Director and Member of Executive Committee
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
- Legal Counsel
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- Legal Counsel
- Providence Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- White Family Foundation
- Former Board Member
- Rhode Island Philharmonic
- Former Director
- Represented manufacturing company in financing of major acquisition.
- Represented management in management buyout of insurance agency.
- Represented several insurance agencies in transactions, including acquisitions of agencies and shareholder buyouts.
- Represented shareholders of several corporations in sale of stock.
- Represented manufacturing companies in restructuring of operations.
- Represented several acquirers of Class A office buildings in downtown Providence.
- Represented owner of multiple office buildings in several real estate projects in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented investor in construction and development financing of an upscale, regional mall with over one million square feet of premier retail space.
- Represented developer group in rehabilitation of major commercial properties in Rhode Island.
- Represented developers of mixed-use projects in Rhode Island.
- Represented manufacturer in plant expansion, including real estate acquisitions and permitting.
- Represented owners of Class A office buildings in Providence in leasing and tenant issues.
- Represented lenders in several complex construction loans in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented lenders in several construction and development loans for construction of shopping centers in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Represented purchasers of large apartment complexes.
Personal NoteDavid’s background is retail – his family owned and operated a fine jewelry store in Connecticut. He chose, much to his family’s chagrin, not to take his place in the business when he graduated from Brown. Instead he waded right into the oft-maligned world of politics, working directly for then-Senator Lowell Weicker, Jr. in his short-lived but amusing presidential campaign (We’ll bet you don’t remember that one!). The day after he withdrew from the 1980 race, David went to work on the first George H. W. Bush presidential campaign, and enjoyed several months of accompanying Mr. Bush to events in New England. David has expressed what a pleasure and honor it was to get to know him, albeit briefly, and Barbara Bush (and even to meet the Bush sons). As the campaign started to gear up in earnest, David realized that this was not his calling, and so he left the campaign to start law school. He managed to keep one finger in the political pie, however, being elected Democrat (yes, that’s right) Town Committee Chair in the small Republican town of Barrington, Rhode Island in the 1980’s. When the Democrats won their first Town Council majority in dozens of years, it was time for David to declare victory and end his brief political career.
- New Massachusetts Law Limits Use of Noncompetition Agreements
Published by The Standard Insurance Magazine , October 26, 2018
- Massachusetts Equal Pay Law: Major Impacts on Insurance Agencies With Mass. Employees
Published by The Standard Insurance Magazine , June 8, 2018
- Strategic Use of Referral Agreements
As seen in the March 2018 edition of The Standard Insurance Magazine, March 16, 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Named 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
August 20, 2020
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Recognized in Professional Excellence Law Issue In Rhode Island Monthly
- Chambers USA 2020 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- PS&H Partner David M. Gilden Among Providence Business News' 2019 25 Over Fifty-Five Winners
July 12, 2019
- Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Partridge Snow & Hahn in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
May 1, 2019
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Attorneys Have Been Named to the 2019 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
November 5, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
American Lawyer Media, October 22. 2018
- Partridge Snow & Hahn Recognized in Chambers USA 2018 In Rhode Island and Massachusetts
May 7, 2018
- PS&H Attorneys Named 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Best Lawyers in America 2018 Names PS&H Providence Attorneys Bernardo, Gamboli, Gilden, Merten and McCarthy "Lawyers of the Year"
11 Attorneys in Providence and Boston Named “Best Lawyers”, August 16, 2017
- Partridge Snow & Hahn LLP Announces New Managing Partner and Other Firm Leaders
April 1, 2017